Friday, February 17, 2012

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - HEATHER THURMEIER

I have a very special guest here today at Books by Banister - Heather Thurmeier, author of the recently released contemporary romance Love on Landing.  I met Heather on Twitter (shout-out to #ChickLitChat!), and she is such a fun, interesting, and creative lady.  In fact, she was the one who came up with the brilliant idea that the two of us should interview each other using the same set of questions.  When you're done reading all of her great answers, I invite you to pop over to Heather's Site and read my interview there.

Without further ado, I give you the lovely Heather Thurmeier . . .



1) Can you give us a brief overview of Love on Landing?

Love on Landing is the second book in my Meadow Ridge Romance series (although books can be read completely independently of the others). Here’s the blurb!

When Tali tries to recover from a recent break-up with a trip to Paris for some retail therapy, she discovers shopping isn’t the only way to cure her broken heart. On route, she meets new pilot, Gavin. Tali and Gavin have instant chemistry and friction as their personalities clash at 30,000 feet.

One night in bed isn’t enough to quell the fireworks between Tali and Gavin and when tempers erupt, Tali’s ex-boyfriend is there to pick up the pieces. Too bad she’s finally realized what she really wants in life… and it isn’t her ex or the life her father has planned back home.

Now all Tali wants is the man who loved her enough to tell her what she didn’t want to hear, but can she win his heart back again on the trip home and find Love on Landing?

2) What's your favorite quality about your hero/heroine?

My favorite quality about Gavin is his take-charge attitude. I love that he’s confident enough in his abilities to pilot a plane. He knows exactly who he is and what he wants in life and is driven to achieve his goals. And his five o’clock shadow doesn’t hurt either. ;) My favorite quality about Tali is her sensitive creative side. She may come off as a bit of a diva, but there’s a lot more to Tali that you think.

3) What made you want to write this book?

When I wrote the first in the series (Love and Lattes) I introduced Tali since she was Julia’s best friend. I really liked the little bit we got to know about Tali and I knew there was more to her than I thought. I really wanted to help her find her man, so I wrote her story!

4) What are you working on now?

I always have a few projects on the go. One is contemporary romance and the other is a light paranormal romance.

5) What comes first for you -- character idea, plot idea?

Either. Every idea I get for a story seems to have a different origin. Sometimes I get hit with an idea for an interesting character and then the story develops around them. Other times I get an intriguing idea for a plot that I’d just love to tell and the more I think about it, the more the characters come into focus. Either way, I usually spend a good amount of time asking myself questions about who, what, when, where and why.

6) How do you think of titles?

Titles are tricky! With each of my books so far, I really had to brainstorm for the right title. I usually write down a bunch of words that I associate with the storyline then try to build titles off of those. Usually the title while I write the book is not the title that I publish the book with. However, Love on Landing is an exception to that. I thought of the title right away then brainstormed for other ideas, but this title just stuck.

7) What are your thoughts on love scenes in books?  Do you prefer to read/write sweet/romantic encounters between your hero and heroine or spicy ones?

I’m definitely a romantic! I like it when there’s some lead up to the hero and heroine getting together. I want the tension and romance and anticipation to get so big that you’re just cheering for them to hook up already! Then when they do finally get together, I like it to be sweet with a little spice and that’s what I try to give my readers. But each couple sort of charts their own path. Sometimes it’s spicier than others!

8) Who are the authors who inspire you?

There are so many wonderful authors that I’ve read. I don’t know if I can list just one or two. I really think that with every single book I read, I find some sort of inspiration from the author. Sometimes an author's writing or characters or plot is just so amazing that I walk away from the book inspired to challenge myself more as a writer, to push myself farther than I have before. I don’t really read for just pleasure anymore!

9) What genres do you like to read?  Do you stick to one or are you eclectic in your reading tastes?

I’m a bit eclectic. I read a lot of romance—contemporary, paranormal are my favorites—but I also read YA, urban fantasy and dystopian/post-apocalyptic. About the only thing I don’t read is horror or stories with dark content.

10) What was the last book you read that really WOW'd you?

There are two that I can think of and they’re both series. One was the Lucky Harbor series by Jill Shalvis. The other was the Fever series by Karen Marie Moning. Both series are so good and so completely different from the other!

11) Do you prefer a series or stand alone novels?

I definitely prefer series. I love when I fall in love with a set of characters and get to read about them for a few books.

12) If you could be plopped down in the middle of any book, which one would it be?

Any of the paranormal romances I’ve read. I love the thought that there could be paranormal creatures living alongside us. I love believing that there is more to this world than we see.

13) If you could invite any five people (living or dead) over for a dinner party, who would they be and why?

Josh Holloway, because he’s super hot and his voice would make dinner conversation sound so much more delicious.
Stephen King, because he’s just too interesting not to meet him.
Dalai lama, because I could use a little more infinite wisdom in my life.
JK Rowling, because I’d love to know more about the Harry Potter world.
My grandmother, because I miss her.

Fast and Flirty:
Favorite word?  Awesomesauce
Dream vacation spot?  A tropical island
Favorite time period in history?  Yesterday. I like living in the now, not the past.
Favorite girl's night out drink?  Frozen strawberry margarita
Favorite date night activity?  Dinner and a movie
Coffee or tea or soda?  Coffee, black with sugar.
Strong but lean or built and burly?  Strong but lean.
Scruffy or clean-shaven?  Scruffy.
Dark-haired or blond?  Either. Or bald. Whatevs.
Celebrity Hottie on your laminated list?  Josh Holloway (Sawyer from LOST)
Novel hero crush?  Noah from The Notebook

Purchase Heather's wonderful books:









5 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for swapping interviews with Tracie! It was really fun to read our completely different answers to the same questions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, Heather! You're welcome at Books by Banister any time!

      Delete
  2. Such a fun interview!! You may have to fight me for Josh Holloway! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't worry, Natalie, there's plenty of Josh to share...Wait a second! No there isn't. He's mine, all mine... My precious...

    ReplyDelete